Mama's Southern Potato Salad. Mama Says: "Make sure you don't cube them too big or they won't cook through, and be sure to cut off any. Deviled eggs and potato salad the way mama always made it. Delicious recipe for those who don't already know how to make it.
A family potato salad recipe that's great to When I was a girl I loved being the taste tester when Mama made her potato salad. What a lucky job it was because her Southern Potato Salad is. Potato salad reminds me so much of my Mama. You possibly can prepare food Mama's Southern Potato Salad using 10 ingredients and 6 steps. That is the way make sure you prepare a meal it.
Ingredients of Mama's Southern Potato Salad
From the food preparation procedure anyone might need some crucial seasonings. In the event that generally there is one thing that is overlooked then the end result are not in accordance with the expectations. To start with, it is possible to put together a lot of the seasonings below.
- You require 4-6 of Med to Large Russet potatoes or 8-10 Red potatoes (Using russets in the pictures).
- It’s 4 of Large Eggs (or more if you like, my family does, so I use 6, at least).
- You must have 1 of Med Sweet onion or 1 Bundle Green Onions (Optional) Using sweet onion for these pics.
- Prepare 1 1/2 c. of Mayonnaise (Maybe a little more or less to taste).
- Prepare 1/3 c. of Sweet Relish.
- You must have 2 tbsp. of (of each) Spicy, Honey Dijon, and Reg. Mustard.
- It’s 2 tbsp. of Creole Seasoning (More or Less depending on how you like your spice level!! You can buy at the grocery store but I also have a homemade recipe for it as well, on my page).
- It’s 1/4 c. of Bacon Bits or 2-3 slices of bacon, fried and broken up.
- You need 2-3 of Roasted Garlic Cloves minced and chopped up (Easy, EASY recipe also available for Roasted Garlic on my page) or Couple tbsp Minced garlic, Garlic Salt or Powder will work too.
- Prepare To Taste of Salt and Pepper.
This recipe is basically the same as hers – simple, basic, southern potato salad. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. This old-fashioned potato salad recipe doesn't have many ingredients, so it isn't as colorful as many that you find nowadays. But Mama made it the way her mother did, and that's the way I still make it today.
Guidance of Mama's Southern Potato Salad
For getting perfect results, be sure to follow the cooking guidance along with the next Mama's Southern Potato Salad properly
- Get the potatoes in heavily salted water, begin to slowly boil, to be able to add eggs. Add eggs when boiling starts. Cover and let boil for another 10 – 15 min..
- While the boiling is going on, prepare the onions and precooked garlic (if that's what your using, this is the garlic in the pic) Chop or dice both very finely..
- This is the chopped onion..
- Once the boiling is finished. Drain the water off of the potatoes and eggs. Cool down easiest way possible…. for me I drain the hot water off and add cold water, then refrigerate while getting other ingredients together. If I'm in a hurry I do an ice bath, pull off the heat, drain, then add ice and cold, COLD water to it. Let it sit for a few min then begin the peeling process. This way the skins of the potatoes will peel straight off with your fingers, nothing else needed..
- Once potatoes are peeled, dice LARGELY!! Peel eggs and dice LARGELY, as well. When you mix everything it will come together great, so go BIGGER on cutting up the POTATOES N EGGS!! That's kinda the great thing about this recipe your cuts don't have to be perfect!! Go ahead and add garlic and seasoning (salt, pepper, creole, ect.) and stir it up!!.
- Last step!! Mix it all together!!! Add the mustard, mayo, relish!! The longer you can let it sit, and marinate, it makes it better. I usually make mine the night before and that's the way my family likes it!!.
Creamy, soulful Southern potato salad recipe. Made with simple ingredients with old-fashioned flavor. The question "Who made the potato salad?" is asked at least once by someone during our family get-togethers. Meet my cousins: Carolyn and Agnes. Sunday dinner with all the family gathered around that big oval table almost always had a large bowl of Mama's homemade Potato Salad.
An alternative to attempt with smaller potatoes: after washing, drying and scoring the potatoes, rub the skins after some butter, then season with salt and pepper before baking to give you extra crispy, tasty skins that anybody will eat.
Another thing to try if you need to get fancy: once the potatoes are cooked, halve them, scoop the insides, mix that has a beaten egg, grated cheese, pepper and salt, heap the mix back into the skins and return towards the oven for someone else 15 minutes till the tops are golden brown. Dinner by itself!
Time for Mama's Southern Potato Salad, how do you cook with all the recipe above? If you’ve not felt the beauty with these results, you can your current creations to fit your taste.
Source : Cookpad.com